Saturday, August 13, 2011

Grenadier Red Magic-user

Don’t worry, there’ll be more to the blog than pretty pictures, but these are a fun way to prime the pump. Expect more!

Red magic-user
Red magic-user
Red magic-user
Red magic-user

Magic-user painted 2009. From the Sorcerer's Chariot box set, code SS10, by Grenadier, part of the Wizzards and Warriors line. Released between 1976 and 1980.

This fig was a game con fleamarket score—a five-pound box of moldering lead had for $1 a pound. It was that box, in fact, that tipped the scales to 25mm and started a collecting odysse. Others of the figs in that box will see light here as well. It was only after he was painted I realized he was considerably more unusual than the figs that became the Gold Line.

I had an opportunity to play this fig at a local minicon, and if I was to play again as a player (unlikely, but it could happen!) he'd be a go to choice. Starting with a miniature like this can do a lot of work for you in terms of evoking the details of personality.

1 comment:

  1. I have been searching for this mini for years. He was my second D&D wizard bought in the late 70s as part of a blister. Eventually sold mine about '84 when I thought my D&D interest was a fad! Pretty cool to see him again (mine was black with a red familiar).

    ReplyDelete